“The rising star of the accordion” (A. Gasponi, il Messaggero)
Saria Convertino is a young Italian accordionist.
She was born in 1987 in southern Italy, Mottola (TA).
She began studying music when she was 8 years old. For ten years she dedicated herself to the study of music at the prestigious Conservatoire of ‘Santa Cecilia’ in Rome. Graduated with honours, she received an honorable mention under the guidance of Maestro Massimiliano Pitocco in 2008.
In 2011, she accomplished the Second Academic Level in Accordion (cum laude) once again under the supervision of Maestro M. Pitocco. In 2014, Saria Convertino achieved the Second Academic Level in Chamber Music with Maestro De Matteis (cum laude and honorable mention).
Furthermore she has had the chance to keep on improving her skills over the years by playing the accordion with well-known maestros such as: V. Semionov (Russia), O. Murray (United Kingdom), S. Hussong (Germany), Y. Shishkin (Russia), F. Angelis (France), M. Rantanen (Finland), Gianluca Pica (Italy), Alfred Melichar (Austria), Jacques Mornet (France).
Winner of several national and international competitions, her achievements include:
- The Italian “Award of the Arts 2011”, organized by the Ministry of Education, representing the Conservatoire “Santa Cecilia” in Rome and the accordion class of Maestro Pitocco at the Conservatoire “N. Piccinni” in Bari;
- The international competition “Luigi Denza”, which took place at the Quisisana Palace of Castellammare di Stabia which resulted in the assignment of an award concert within the International Festival of Karditsa, Greece;
- The competition announcement “Rec & Play”, organised by Cidim, with the assignement of an award concert held within the festival “New Careers” at the Academy of Denmark, located in Rome, presented by the music critic Piero Rattalino;
- The national competition Soroptimist International of Italy “Talents for music 2009”, which took place at Conservatoire “Santa Cecilia”, where she ranked as the first Italian talent after a regional selection;
- The “The Award Via Vittoria”, set up for the 5 best graduated students of the Conservatoire “Santa Cecilia”.
She was invited by the “Fratelli Mancuso” to the Teatro Argentina in Rome, performing in premiere “Simmu Water” by Marco Betta, commissioned by the Philarmonic Academy of Rome.
She performed “Hymnen” by Stockhausen, for electronic, concrete music and for soloists, at the Gardens of the Roman Philarmonic Academy, in collaboration with the Conservatoire “Santa Cecilia” in Rome and the Conservatoire “G. Verdi” in Milan.
She worked together with the actor Ennio Coltorti in the show “ITALY”, presented at Villa Brancaccio in Rome, performing in a duo with the pianist Sabrina Trojse and directed by Imma Battista.
An extensive list of concerts in Italy and around the world includes:
Palazzo Montecitorio (the Queen’s hall), Embassy of Egypt, Villa Rufolo Gardens for ‘Ravello Festival 2011’, the conference ‘ALMALAUREA’ organized by Miur at the lecture hall of the University of Rome, Academy of Denmark in Rome, Festival ‘ Summer Nights at Castel Sant’Angelo, 2011 ‘, the National Gallery of Modern Art for ‘the Night of the Museums’, the ‘European Music Festival 2011’ at the Macro Museum of Contemporary Art in Rome, San Giorgio del Sannio (BV) in the Municipal Auditorium ‘The black cylinder’. She also performed for the Navy Officers’ Club ‘Caio Duilio’ in Rome, in the Church of S.Eugenio in Terzi, in San Vito al Tagliamento (PN) at the Theatre ‘ G. Arrigoni’ for the 2nd International Festival of concert accordion, in Parma at the premise of ‘Parma Lirica’, for the Roman festival ‘Museums in Music’, for the show ‘Concert by Candlelight’ in the ‘Anglican Church of St. Paul within the walls’ in Rome, for the Roman Philarmonic Academy in the ‘Casella hall’, on the Tiber Island in Rome for the Roman summer festival in 2010 called ‘The Island of cinema and Cinergie’, in Rome for the ‘Soroptimist International of Italy’ in the Church of Santa Maria in Cosmedin, for the ‘Soroptimist International of Italy -Club of Naples’ in the Conference Room of the Excelsior Hotel in Naples, for the Foundation ‘Arts Academy’ in Rome, in the ‘Gallery Italarte’ in Trastevere, for the ‘Ministry of Youth’ at the Exhibition Palace in Rome in the presence of the MP Meloni, for the MIUR at the Capitol in Rome in the ‘Esedra Hall of the Capitoline Museums’, for the ‘European Musical Festival 2009’ at Caravita Oratory, in Rome at the Portuguese Institute of Sant’ Antonio ‘IPSAR’, finally she played within the event ‘Telethon 2008 Sail for life’ in the Academic Hall of the Conservatoire of Santa Cecilia.
During the international competitions in 2003, she was chosen to represent Italy at the C.M.A. World Trophy (junior). Afterwards she took part in the final selection in Hungary, awarding 1st prize within the ‘Coupe Mondiale Junior’.
She also works as a music teacher in the following institutions in Rome:
- Conservatoire “Santa Cecilia” (Pre-Academic courses);
- Musical High School “Giordano Bruno”;
- Scheherazade Academy;
- Praeneste Academy.